Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Roses are red, violets are blue...


 What is one (of the many) things every woman wants from their man on valentines day? What is handed to every woman that makes it into the next round in the Bachelor? What is the one item that enchants the beast, drawing his doom ever closer with each pedal that drops? Last question, got it yet? Phheww, good... I was one feminine question away from losing my man card!!

Well on the off chance your not a hopeless romantic or a seven year old girl or maybe you're one of those people that doesn't read titles,what I'm referring to in the above paragraph is the one and only rose. Quite possible the most sought after, most commonly sold flower in the world. You have probably either given or received roses from someone. And I'm guessing at least once, you have probably thrown roses in the trash due to irreconcilable differences between you and the dude that is about as committed as a atheist saying he'll see you at church on Sunday.
 Why
So what is it about the rose that makes it so popular? Depending on who you talk to, you may end up getting a hundred different answers. But if you asked me, the answer is simple. It's stunning. From the number of rose pedals on some varieties counting towards four or five dozen, or the fact that its one of the best cut flowers either individually or joined with friends, or that there are over 15,000 varieties grown across the world, it's amazing!

Where
"Hey Clark, where can I get one of them rose plant thingy s at?" you ask. Well drunk cousin Eddie, if you want the traditional rose, a.k.a Knockout Rose, you can go down to your local Lowe's or Home D-POT. "But I'm better than that, I want something different!" says Cher from Clueless, nose turned up . Well then you should try... the internet. When you search on the line you might come across a website, Heirloom Roses, where you can find all sorts of varieties. I sought after Heirloom Roses because they sell "own-root roses" vs "bare-root roses." This is a selling point to me because I know when I find a rose that I like on their website and purchase it, I'm going to get that rose plant; not one that has been grafted onto another plant. They also tend to live longer and are virus-resistant.

Type
When you check out Heirloom Roses, you'll find out all sorts of varieties: climbing, miniature, shrub, old garden roses and many more. The type of landscape and garden that you have or want to have will determine the rose(s) you will be looking for. Yours truly threw a blind dart and purchased four miniature roses. What does throwing a dart have to do with purchasing a rose plant, you ask? When the joke has gone past the point of being funny, that's when. Honestly though, I purchased four miniature rose plants because it works purrr-fect with my landscaping plans. I don't have room for the traditional rose plant that can grow ridiculously tall. I need a rose bush that will grow 16"-24," that's about it.

Get him off the stage
So anyways, I hope at the very least you know now after reading my blog that cousin Eddie from Christmas vacation doesn't own a rose bush, but is interested. But mostly, I hope you were convinced enough to put at least one rose in landscaping beds, either from a big box store or specialty one. Because who doesn't want to be the envy of their neighbors? Double deuces 'til next time!




1 comment:

  1. Great blog Matt, I always enjoy reading them and I learn something new every time.

    Heather Bullard

    ReplyDelete